Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry
MINISTRY OF COMMERCE, TRADE AND INDUSTRY
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS TO FILL VACANCIES IN THE NATIONAL IMPLEMENTATION UNIT (NIU) ENHANCED INTEGRATED FRAMEWORK (EIF)
Zambia has been implementing the Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF) Programme under Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry (MCTI) since 2010. The Programme has contributed to building the capacity of MCTI and other national implementing agencies to effectively formulate and implement pro=poor trade policies and strategies. In 2012 t0 2015, the EIF supported MCTIto implement a project to support the development of the honey sector in Zambia. The Project, Trade and Investment Project for Enhanced Competitiveness of Zambia’s Apiculture Sector (TIPEC-ZAS) Project was implemented on
behalf of MCTI by SNV Zambia.
Building on the EIF capacity enhancement support and TIPEC-ZAS Project, the Government of Zambia through MCTI and with the support of the EIF will implement the Cooperatives Development and Sustainability Project (CDSP). The overall objective of the Project is to enhance Zambia’s nontraditional exports through improved productivity of cooperatives and to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry to effectively coordinate trade mainstreaming. The project has two components, namely, Enhancing Capacity of Cooperative Officers to Deliver Competitive Business Development Services component and Sustainability Support to MCTI and other national implementing agencies component.
The objective of the Cooperative Development Component of the Project is to contribute to the promotion of non-traditional exports in selected value chains; and improved livelihoods and competitiveness of cooperatives. The Project will focus on cooperatives in the in sectors and value chains which have been prioritized in the National Export Strategy. The Project will encourage participation of youth cooperatives and female headed cooperatives and cooperatives with at least 50% female membership. Towards the attainment of this objective, this component of the project will seek to enhance the capacities and capabilities of District Cooperative Officers to deliver business development services to primary and secondary cooperatives. This in turn is expected to increase production and enhance productivity, market access, and improve quality of products.
The objective of the Sustainability Support component of the project is to reinforce and sustain the capacity of MCTI to effectively plan, implement and coordinate the EIF Programme and other Aid for Trade initiatives in Zambia.
The Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry now invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill in the following vacancies as part of the EIF National Implementation Unit.
PROJECT FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (PFAO)
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Project Finance and Administration Officer (PFAO) will support the Programme Team in implementation of project work plan specifically in managing all the financial functions of the NIU and ensuring that Financial Reports are timely and accurately prepared. Reporting to the NIU Coordinator, the Project Finance and Administration Officers key areas of responsibility will be the following:
- Maintain the Cash Books and ensure that all the Payment Vouchers are posted and filed;
- Prepare payment vouchers, Local Purchase Orders and cheques for all approved payment requests;
- Prepare monthly Bank Reconciliation Statements;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports;
- Maintain the petty cash;
- Ensuring that the prime books of EIF accounts are accurately posted and maintained;
- Check all payment vouchers for accuracy and support documentation;
- Prepare performance reports for budgetary control purposes;
- To monitor the budgetary application of funds by the Project to ensure adherence to the work plans and approved budgets;
- Prepare documentation for and assist as appropriate in the audit process;
- Follow up on audit queries/ Management letters and contribute to the implementation of Audit recommendations.
- Ensures that staff contracts are up to date and maintain an accurate record of leave days for NIU staff;
- To accurately maintain the project Asset Register;
- Ensure that project documents are properly filed and secured;
- Manage use of project motor vehicles; and,
- To perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to timeby the EIF NIU
- A degree in Commerce / Accountancy/ or full ACCA/CIMA or related field or similar qualification. Must be a registered member of ZICA
Experience and Skills Required
- 5 years’ work experience as an Accountant
- Good understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Zambia tax and labour laws
- High level of computer skills, ability to handle complex financial and accounting packages and systems, proficient in accounting software and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Relevant work experience in a closely related field in with donor funded projects
- Previous working experience with the government, cooperatives and private sector institutions would be an asset;
- Strong drive and proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Strong decision-making/problem-solving skills with a meticulous attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; and,
- Able to travel extensively and willing to work flexible hours.
Contract Duration and Location
- The engagement is for a period of three years based on satisfactory performance
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATIONS TOGETHER WITH YOUR CURRICULUM VITAE, INCLUDING A LIST OF 2 REFEREES AND RELEVANT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS (INCLUDING COPIES OF ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS) TO:
THE PERMANENT SECRETARY
MINISTRY OF COMMERCE, TRADE & INDUSTRY
P.O. BOX 31968
NEW GOVERNMENT COMPLEX
ATTENTION: DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION
THE DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS NO LATER THAN 17HRS ON 10TH MAY, 2019. ALL INTERESTED APPLICANTS CAN SUBMIT THEIR APPLICATIONS, CLEARLY INDICATING THE POSITION APPLIED FOR ON THE ENVELOPE, AT THE MINISTRY OF COMMERCE, TRADE AND INDUSTRY, 9TH FLOOR, GOVERNMENT COMPLEX IN THE ASSIGNED BOX. ONLY SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL BE COM