INTERNAL SPECIALIST AT DEVELOPMENT AID FROM PEOPLE TO PEOPLE (DAPP)
Development Aid from People to People (DAPP) in Zambia is a nationally registered NGO working with development projects in the fields of education, health, human rights, agriculture and other poverty alleviation programs. Projects are carried out in all the provinces of Zambia reaching over 1 million people. Key funding partners include the Government of Zambia, national and international development organisations (USAID, EU, Global Fund, WFP and more) as well as private sector organisations and own fund raising business. DAPP further runs the Clothes and Shoes Fund Raising Project to raise additional funding for development activities. DAPP has over 1400 staff employed.
DAPP has its Headquarters in Ndola in which the Economy and Administration (E&A) Offices hosting the Finance, Procurement and Human Resource Departments. The Internal Auditor will be based in Ndola and report to the Director of Programs.
Objectives of the job:
- Provision of systematic, independent and objective internal controls, safeguarding resources of the organisation and ensure compliance with DAPPs and donor policies and requirements.
- You will report to and receive tasks from the Director of Programs and will work independently of the Economy and Administration Offices.
- You will prepare a plan of work according to specific tasks provided and needs assessed within but not limited to the areas mentioned below. The tasks will be coordinated with the head of the related DAPP Projects and offices.
- You will use the majority of time on reviews and internal audits of individual projects and grants, and will spend up to 40% away from the office.
Main activities and responsibilities:
- Works with the head of departments to identify and develop systems to mitigate risks in the various sections and projects and make risk registers.
- Reviews implementation of the agreed management actions.
- Prepares an Annual Internal Audit Plan according to the risks identified using the identified risk management framework.
- Ascertain the extent to which compliance with established policies, plans, procedures and statutes and other Legal Covenants is done
- Assist the Grants and Compliance Manager in ensuring that DAPP performs compliance reviews to ensure adherence to set policies and procedures for all partnerships.
- Identify compliance issues that require follow-up or investigation.
- Evaluate the efficiency of controls and contribute to the improvement in the control environment
Finance and compliance audit in project:
- Assess, evaluate and report on the adequacy of each project’s financial management system, including internal controls.
- Review and report if funds have been used in accordance with the respective budgets with due attention to economy and efficiency and value for money.
- Perform unannounced cash verifications at projects.
- Review expense documentation to assess if these meet donor requirements and general account standard.
- Undertake investigations on frauds and irregularities at management request and follow up on regular internal and external audit findings.
- Liaison with external auditors.
Expenditure Statements Procedure Review:
- Review periodically expenditure statements in the specific donor prescribed formats to assess if they meet the requirements of the partner in terms of accuracy, based on trial balances of the specific project, follow partner guidelines and are submitted timely.
- Review periodically that internal financial statements are prepared according to internal agreements and that these reports meet the expectation of the end users.
Human Resource Administration Review:
- Review personnel files at the Head Office
- for completeness of documents required by law
- ensuring that all documents for staff are up to date
- review staff deductions including appropriateness of the process of staff advances and repayment
- review that any salary variations are entered into the staff file
- Review that DAPP meets all statutory requirements (NAPSA, ZRA, Pension etc)
- Review Staff Appraisal process
- Review that Leave Days are recorded correctly and that each staff has a year plan for leave.
Procurement Procedure Review:
- Review the procurement files to assess whether all processes are carried out according to DAPP policy.
- Assess whether the end users are satisfied with the goods and services received and with the process.
- Carry out physical verification of assets and reconcile with records maintained in the ledger and offices
- Assess disposal procedures
- Assess systems for maintenance and security of assets including insurance
- Recommend operating improvements
- Review and appraise the soundness, adequacy, and application of accounting, financial and other operating controls and promote effective control at reasonable cost
- Advise management on the improvement of internal controls
- Review the organisation’s Policies & Procedures, to access if they are in line with the best practices, and provide input to improvements and revisions.
- Conduct special investigations and any other duties as may be assigned by the Board and the Managing Director through the Director of Programs
- Conduct follow-up audits on audit findings to ensure that corrective action has been taken.
- Requirements For the Position
Competencies, Skills And Character:
- Honest, reliable, passionate, sober minded, mature and innovative.
- Identify with DAPP’s Vision, Mission and Values
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Team Player with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly literate in Information Communication Technology (lCT)
- Have a strong desire to Impact positively on the poor and disadvantaged people
Qualifications and Professional Membership:
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field
- Membership of the Zambia Institute of Certified Accountants (ZICA) a must
- Membership of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) or Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (ClMA)
- Membership of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- At least five years working experience as an Internal Auditor or other similar supervisory position.
- Applications must be sent with the following information
- Application letter
- Detailed CVs 3 referees including their contact details
Method of Application
Please do not attach any other documentation such as certificates at this stage.
Send to E-mail:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.