Finance Officer at CROWN Agents Ascend, zambia
Accelerating the Sustainable Control and Elimination of NTDs (ASCEND) is a £200 million investment from the UK government’s Department for International Development (DFID), to advance the impact and sustainability of national programmes tackling neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). ASCEND lot 1 (Asia, East and Southern Africa) is implemented by a consortium of technical partners led by Crown Agents, including Abt Associates, Oriole Global Health and the Royal Tropical Institute. Central to ASCEND 1’s approach is a close collaboration with the Zambian Government and other implementing partners, to enhance the national approach to NTD control and elimination. In Zambia, ASCEND is anchored on the following broad areas of intervention: (i) Treatment and prevention of disability (ii) Strengthening of the national health system (iii) Data management for targeting and monitoring (iv) Cross-sectoral collaboration, in particular within the health sector and WASH/BCC sectors.
Across all of these areas, ASCEND is committed to the principles of ensuring no-one is left behind and as such is required to capture data disaggregaged by gender, age, disability and geographic location. FCDO has contracted Crown Agents together with its consortium partners to act as Fund Manager for ASCEND in Zambia. Therefore, Crown Agents will work with the Ministry of Health (MoH) to support the immediate procurement of services from Implementing Partners (IPs) that will further the above-stated objectives of ASCEND in the country
1. Scope of work
The Finance Officer will be responsible for the overall accounting and financial management of the Ascend project in Zambia. The Finance Officer will work closely with the Ascend Regional Finance Office, Country Lead, and other NTD partners to provide financial support in order to ensure effective, efficient and accurate financial operations for Ascend operations in country. The Finance Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Initiate, manage and conclude the Process of account opening of the ASCEND project account with the Central Bank via ministry of health to support direct funding to government by FCDO through ASCEND.
- Coordinate paperwork to support approval processes among different approves within Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Finance for any ASCEND related expenses.
- Review all expenditure returns from District Health Offices for sharing with the Office of the Accountant General (OAG) and ASCEND finance team.
- Act as the principal financial Management liaison for Ascend lot 1 in Zambia.
- Ensure that project implementation is done in an environment of strong controls and that the project complies with Donor rules and regulations.
- Conduct comprehensive review and checks of budgets and other financial submissions, such as Spend forms and expenditure reports by partners.
- Review partners monthly financial reports for accuracy, completion and reasonableness and conduct spot checks of related transactions
- Reconcile all expenses on a monthly/quarterly basis to ensure completeness and integrity of financial information
- Participate in ongoing financial monitoring of projects (including donor financial reporting, audits and staff travel to provide support and training as needed to all staff.
- Ensure that contract income and expenditure is correctly reflected in the country financial report and that ASCEND internal financial process requirements are complied with.
- Support with other day to day finance and administration tasks on the program.
- Lead on requests from the Third-Party Monitoring and ensure timely and high-quality responses are provided.
- Support in-country audit or HQ level global audits as and when needed.
- Undertake any tasks as may be assigned by the NTD Manager and the ASCEND Country Lead.
2. Qualifications and requirements
Education & Related Experience:
- A Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or Professional qualification in accountancy such as ACCA, CPA, ACIS and CPE obtained from a recognized awarding Institution.
- At least 5 years working experience in Finance and Office Administration role in a donor funded project.
Desired skill set:
- Strong analytical, budget and accounting skills.
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel and e-mail/internet.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written English)
- High level of knowledge and skills of data visualization and presentation.
- Experience in project monitoring and reporting.
- Proven ability to handle administrative tasks independently.
- Ability to prioritize workloads, assume responsibility for work and follow through to completion
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure as part of a global team.
- Professional membership with the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountant (ZiCA).
- Understanding of Public health programs as well as understanding of the synergy between programmatic, operational and financial components of public health initiatives.
- Proven Knowledge of FCDO financial management guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of protection, prevention of sexual abuse and exploitation and the field of safeguarding.
Method of Application
Send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to these email below: