eologist (X3) at Lubambe Copper Mines, zambia
Lubambe Copper Mines
Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 228 square kilometres.
Completed and commissioned in 2012, Lubambe is an underground operation supported by a shaft and decline access with a 2.5 million tonne per annum capacity ore concentrator. The mine’s current depth is 450meters producing a high-grade copper concentrate which is then treated at Zambian smelters.
The mine currently employs 1, 100 direct employees, a further 800 contractors. It places the highest priority on safety and is currently the safest mine in Zambia with a world class safety system.
Supporting local communities and suppliers is a key business focus of the mine.
EMR Capital owns an 80% controlling interest in Lubambe while ZCCM-IH owns 20%.
The Mine seeks to employ experienced and qualified individuals in the following positions:
This position reports to the Senior Grade Geologist.
Core Purpose of the Position
The core purpose of this role is Ore drive piloting, structural and lithological mapping, maintenance of geological underground face mapping database and all other activities associated with structural and lithological modelling.
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Conduct face sampling every 2 development cuts
- Conduct detailed geological face mapping after each and every development cut
- Analyse all geological face mapping data and provide technical advice to developers on mining direction to ensure correct position of the ore drives.
- Supervise and train grade control team in face sampling protocols and grade control techniques.
- Implement, conduct and constantly review ore drive piloting standards and procedures.
- Collaborate with onsite analytical laboratory staff and conduct QA/QC protocol reviews.
- Generate and update geological mapping plans and sections
- Conduct structural and geological logging of drill core.
- Maintain, update and manage geological structural models, wireframes and database.
- Be part of a geology shift production team covering mine operations 24/7 on 4 x 12-hour shift and 3 days off roster.
- Any other tasks that might be assigned to you by your supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 GCE O’ level certificate
- A Degree or Qualification in Geology obtained from a recognised institution
- Member of the EIZ & GSZ or any other recognized geological professional body
- Minimum 1 – 2 years’ experience – underground mining geology
- A knowledge of 3D geological/mine planning software preferably Datamine, Surpac and MicroStation would be an added advantage.
- A good knowledge of Microsoft word packages like Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Working with minimum supervision.
- Should be of a sober character
Method of Application
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to for receipt of applications:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.