WeForest Zambia Ltd needs a Human resource & Administration Officer
Job Description – WeForest Zambia Ltd.
Reporting to: Project Manager, Katanino and Country Director, Zambia
WeForest is a fast-growing international non-profit association headquartered in Belgium and with current projects in Brazil, Ethiopia, India, Tanzania, Malawi, Senegal and Zambia. The mission of the organization is to advance innovative, scalable and lasting solutions to restore forest and landscapes for climate, people and planet. We promote scientific evidence for the ways in which forests contribute to climate change mitigation, beyond their impacts as stocks of carbon, by increasing water availability, enhancing local cooling and improve rural livelihood and resilience.
WeForest has been active around reforestation in Zambia since 2011, starting in Kitwe and expanding to Luanshya district in a later stage.
Currently, four projects are running, two in the Copperbelt and two in Muchinga province:
The Copperbelt project, started in 2015, has worked with over 900 farmers to put more than 2,500 hectares of Miombo woodland under restoration through Assisted Natural Regeneration (ANR) on individual farmland. The project is also supporting alternative, forest-friendly value chains and local farmer associations. We operate in Mpongwe, Ndola and Luanshya districts and directly works with farmers associations.
The Katanino project, which started in 2019, aims to work with local communities to revive Joint Forest management of a degraded 4,500 ha forest reserve in Masaiti. We support a transition toward a more sustainable and local community based forest management model, including forest-friendly livelihoods as alternative for charcoal production.
The Chintumukulu project, which starts in 2020, aims to establish and functionalize a community conservancy of 8,500 ha and support sustainable income sources to run the conservancy in the long-term.
The Mafinga project, which starts in 2021 aims to establish a community forest with sustainable management practices away from resource depletion by implementing training, environmental stewardship and changing agricultural techniques. This will be a project led by WECSZ.
- WeForest is hereby hiring an experienced Human Resource and Administration Officer, who will be responsible for all Human resource and related administrative matters of WeForest Zambia and will support the different teams in facilitating the forest and landscape restoration programmes. The HR and Admin Officer will report to, and work closely with, the Katanino project Manager and the Country Director and will manage directly the human resources across the projects. The role also has a dotted line reporting to WeForest’s HR Director at the Headquarters, to ensure alignment with the global HR strategic needs and policies.
- The HR officer co-develops the relevant HR strategies and policies to support the growth of the organization, by ensuring that we can attract the right profiles, develop our people from a training and needs perspective and create an enabling HR framework for an efficient organization with motivated employees.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives at country level, aligned with the overall global strategy
- Monitor and advise the overall HR policies and procedures within WeForest Zambia.
- Support and identify current and future staff needs, and identify trainings for the development, engagement, and motivation of our staff
- Manage the recruitment and selection process of future employees
- Nurture a positive working environment
- Oversee, manage and implement the timely performance appraisal system that drives high performance
- Organize quarterly team meetings across the project teams in Zambia
- Maintain pay plan and benefits/bonus program
- Provide training related to HR needs in the company
- Provide decision support through HR metrics
- Support Health and insurance policies
- Strengthen Code of Professional Ethics compliance and alert procedure
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance throughout human resource management
- Organize other admin related tasks when needed
- Relevant degree in HR Management. Extra qualifications in coaching or ethics management is a plus.
- 3 years of experience with similar responsibilities.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Exceptional listening skills
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of Zambian labor law and employment act is a must
- NGO/Charity experience preferable. Field experience an asset
- Fluent in English and Bemba, both oral and in writing
- And… Since WeForest is still a small organisation, very hands-on!
Terms & Conditions:
- Position: Part-time employee (3-4 days a week). Full-time applications will also be considered
- Base: at Kaloko Trust, Masaiti District, Zambia
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Package: Competitive package for a small organization, level 3 salary
Method of Application
Please send applications to with your CV, a motivation letter, and 2 recent references to the email below:
Make sure to mention the job title in the subject of the email, and to indicate where you saw the job post. In your motivation letter, we’d love to read about what makes you happy to go to work! Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your interest.