Programme Officer – SRHR
Hivos Southern Africa Hub, aims towards an open and green society, inspired by humanist values such as freedom, dignity, responsibility and curiosity. Our objective is that every person can live in freedom and dignity on a planet that is sustainable. We pride ourselves as upholding the principles of Social innovation of generating new ideas and approaches that resolve existing social, cultural, economic and environmental challenges for the benefit of people and the planet.
Hivos in partnership with SIDA and Ford Foundation manages the Regional Fund on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). The Regional SRHR Fund was established in recognition of the critical need for a strategic regional response to collectively address the myriad of SRHR issues in Southern Africa with particular attention to young people and adolescents as well as to provide an opportunity for donors to coordinate their support to SRHR in the region. The fund is currently focusing on strengthening the capacity of youth led and youth focused organisations to effectively advocate for their sexual and reproductive health needs. To do so, it is supporting civil society responses to a diversity of ASRHR issues that are relevant at both the national and regional levels using grant-making as the main mechanism of support. The Fund further, seeks to support targeted efforts to advocate and take actions that can lead to improvements in the availability and accessibility of SRHR services for adolescent and youth with a focus on the most vulnerable people.
To support our office generate new knowledge manangement, camapaign & youth led research initiatives and mobilise resources we are looking for a: Programme Officer – SRHR
With support from the Programme Manager, the Programme Officer – SRHR will support and undertake SRHR Knowledge, Learning and youth led research focused capacity strengthening and advocacy activities at the national and regional level. The role will include developing effective communications strategies for advancing SRHR in East and Southern Africa . Other activities include the provision of training and technical assistance including providing technical support to the youth-led research initiative as well as support to the development of social media campaigns.
- Manage the Knowledge Management Portfolio (40% LOE)
- Manage all aspects of the implementation of the activities of the portfolio
- Lead the strategic development of a programme level communication strategy.
- Coordinate and Provide technical support to the youth-led research initiative
- program monitoring, evaluating, and reporting and ensuring rapid roll-out of Knowledge and Learning related activities at regional and country levels
- support the development of social media campaigns
Building Relationships with Strategic Partners (15% LOE):
- Identify and build relationships with development agencies, policy, and research organisations that are critical to the SRHR Fund delivering its objectives and programme
- Establish and maintain relationships with key contacts in strategic partner organisations
- Represent the SRHR Fund and Hivos at relevant networks, workshops, seminars and policy events
- Develop ideas and projects for formal collaboration with targeted development agencies, policy, and research organisations
- Strategic Grant Making in Accordance with Key Components of the Portfolio (20% LOE)
- Receive proposals and undertake assessments in line with the ‘call for proposals’
- On grant approval ensure all project information and documents are completed in the system (AllSolutions) and contracts are generated and signed
- Monitor performance of SRHR sub-grants and make recommendations regarding scale-up potential
- Ensure that projects receiving support provide reports in accordance with contracts and the format provided
- Liaise and communicate with grantees
Learning, Sustainability and Impact (10% LOE):
- Help to document project-based learnings and best practices
- Support lesson learning from monitoring and evaluation of the SRHR programme portfolio and sharing of best practice and policy insights
- Resource Mobilisation and Fundraising (15% LOE)
- Identify and track emerging opportunities through the programme funding strategy and programme development plan
- Contribute to design and development of funding proposals
- Masters Degree in development studies or other related social sciences.
- A minimum of five (5) years prior experience conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research in field-based positions primarily in East and Southern Africa.
- At least five years’ experience in project management and supervision
- Demonstrated experience in organizational capacity building for CSOs, including designing and implementing trainings for CSOs, delivering organizational development technical assistance, and/or mentoring CSOs
- Prior experience in sub granting and grants manangement will be an added advantage.
- Exceptional experience in the field of SRHR/Public Health is a requirement
- Proven knowledge and experience in the field of community health and rights-based approach
- Experience in facilitating training, mentoring and coaching across the region
- Demonstrable experience in gathering best practices and lessons learned and sharing information with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in facilitating training in research methodologies
- Experience working with a diversity of stakeholders across multiple countries
- Commitment to team-working and a willingness to join in with colleagues to manage the pressures and priorities of the day
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Oral and written fluency in English is critical
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and in a multi- cultural environment
What we offer:
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment. The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Zambia. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid work permit for Zambia. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: