Position: Logistics Officer
Location: Mongu, Western Province, Zambia
Responsible to: Regional Logistician
Start date: ASAP
Applications deadline: June 2, 2019
People in Need (PIN) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization with the headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, providing humanitarian assistance and development aid all over the world. For more information, please see www.peopleinneed.cz
Our mission is to support and improve the livelihood of vulnerable people. We strive for open, informed, engaged and responsible society that would be able to address problems at home as well as in the world. We want to actively participate in shaping a society where cultural, ethnic, racial and other differences are a source of enrichment rather than conflict.
PIN’s office in Zambia is currently located in Mongu, Western province. PIN’s programme focusses on a multi-sectoral approach (agriculture, nutrition, food security, WASH, saving groups, maternal and child health, energy).
1.2. Description of the Role
People in Need is a growing and ambitious organisation. The quality of our programmes and our impact on vulnerable populations is built upon effective management and operations systems, including robust procurement system and enhanced service delivery mechanism. We are recruiting a Logistician in Mongu to ensure a professional and efficient running of the Zambia programme’s operations, so as to enable programme staff and other stakeholders to build an effective and successful PIN Programme in Zambia.
In this capacity, the Logistician must ensure transparent and reliable processes with overall control and responsibility over the sections of procurement, transportation, warehousing/assets, communication, maintenance of equipment and facilities (office, guest houses and stores) and record keeping (procurement trackers, logbooks, etc) as well as reporting. Understanding of car mechanics would be an asset.
1.3. Key responsibilities
- Logistics: Responsible for logistics tasks, such as store control, asset management, equipment use and maintenance, fuel and movement tracking; delivering timely, cost-effective, high quality and appropriate support; and supporting field/program teams in achieving its goals and maintaining minimum standards in service delivery;
- Procurement: conduct market surveys, keep abreast of market developments, price levels and availability of goods and services, collect quotations, organize tenders, purchase goods and services, liaise with suppliers, put in place framework agreements, support smooth programme operations;
- Fleet management: follow the movement of cars, control logbooks, analyse fuel consumption, follow up on maintenance schedule, arrange maintenance and repairs as needed, ensure that cars are in a good condition;
- Office and guesthouse management: ensure that the premises are in order and clean, equipment functioning, incl. generator, availability of cleaning material and office supplies, drinking water, arrange maintenance and repairs as needed;
- Security: Supports the HOSO in maintaining and developing robust security management of PIN personnel’s and facilities;
- Administration: Ensures that the PIN facilities, equipment, systems and practices are aligned with local regulations and are effectively practiced and adhered to, keep and update logistics database;
- Information Technology & Communication (ICT): Responsible for management and maintenance of IT and communications (laptops, printers, telephone and other means related to Information Technology and Communication);
- Capacity building staff & local partners: Build capacity of the line and support staff in the country office and our partners through on-the-job training.
Note: All the above key responsibilities are for guidance purpose only. Specific and detailed job responsibilities would form part of the job contract of the person selected for the job.
1.4 Contractual Terms
- Duration: Contract of 7 months (until December 2019) renewable on yearly basis
- Salary: dependent on experience
- Working Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week.
- Leave: 24 days per annum (2 days per month)
The Logistician is based in Mongu, Western Province, Zambia.
2. Person Specific Requirements
2.1 Work Experience and Knowledge
- Experience in a similar position;
- First-hand experience across procurement, transportation, warehousing, assets etc.;
- Knowledge of Zambian regulations for logistics processes;
- Ability of record keeping (procurement trackers, logbooks, etc);
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Word, Excel and email is a must, problem solving is an advantage;
- Knowledge of IT network set up and basic maintenance of IT technique is advantage;
- Knowledge of car mechanics and/or ability to repair cars is an advantage;
- Excellent people management skills and good communicator, fluent in written and spoken English essential;
- Highly organized, dynamic and self-motivated, ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks.
Please submit detailed CV (Max 2pages) and motivation letter
online on: https://airtable.com/shr61TAv1FKjbSGtc
Deadline for applications: 2nd June, 2019
Due to limited resources, People in Need HR will contact only shortlisted candidates.
First round of formal interviews will be on rolling basis.
If selected for interviews, these candidates will be expected to complete a short written assessment test before the formal interview.
Any offer made will be conditional on receipt of 3 or more favourable written reference(s) (from your most recent employer, any other previous employer and a character reference). In case clarification is required post the receipt of complete reference forms, People in Need reserves the right to call the referees.
Start date: ASAP