Project Coordinator (x1) Needed at MH Zambia
Project Coordinator (x1) Needed at the Zambian Ministry of health
Africa centres for disease control and prevention regional investment financing project (p167916) and the zambia covid-19 emergency response and health systems preparedness project (p174185).
Employment Opportunity- Project Coordinator
Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (P167916).
The Africa CDC is a specialized technical institution of the African Union established to support public health initiatives of Member States and strengthen the capacity of their public health institutions to detect, prevent, control, and respond quickly and effectively to disease threats. To help Africa CDC and countries in the region cope with the burden of disease threats and outbreaks, the World Bank has provided funding to the Africa CDC headquarters in Addis Ababa, the Southern Africa Regional Coordinating Centre (SA-RCC) in Lusaka, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) and the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) for strengthening vital institutional capacities to execute measurable public health functions through the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (ACDCP).
The overall Project Development Objective (PDO) is to support Africa CDC to strengthen continental and regional infectious disease detection and response systems.
The Zambia COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project (P174185):
The project has been designed to fit within the overall context of the national COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan and Zambia’s legacy goals to ensure national health security. It builds upon prior support funded through the Government, the World Bank, and other partners to respond to COVID-19. The scope and components are fully aligned with the World Bank’s COVID-19 Strategic Preparedness and Response Program (SPRP) and focus on fill financing gaps that have been identified in the national COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan, to assist the country to: (i) respond swiftly detect and confirm COVID-19 cases; (ii) strengthening core public health functions and health systems to respond to COVID-19 as well as building capacity to deliver other essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond; (iii) avert the socio-economic costs associated with the COVID-19 including gender based violence and nutrition for COVID-19 patients; and (iv) improve risk communications and WASHE activities to general public and high risk and vulnerable populations currently underfunded in the national plan.
The project development objective (PDO) is to prevent, detect and respond to the COVID-19 threat in Zambia and strengthen national systems for public health preparedness.
The Ministry of Health in Zambia now wishes to engage the services of suitably qualified candidate to fill the vacant post of a Project Coordinator under the ACDCP and Zambia COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project:
- Duty Station: Zambia National Public Health Institute, Ministry of Health, Lusaka
- Reports to: Director ZNPHI
Objectves of the Assignment:
The Project Coordinator is a management expert who has extensive, in-depth knowledge and experience in project coordination processes and execution, and understands legal, operational and human resource management aspects. She/he will have overall responsibility for ensuring the Project is implemented in accordance with the relevant Government of Zambia (GRZ) and Bank policies and instruments as outlined in the project documents and agreement. This includes paying due attention to relevant GRZ and World Bank requirements for procurement, disbursement, financial management, environmental and social safeguards, etc.
- Strategic management, implementation and evaluation
- Planning and Scheduling of Project Activities
- Collaborating, Coordinating Project implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Leading, Innovating and supervising project implementation
- Progress Reports and Documentation
- Any Other Duties that may be assigned
Timelines and duration of Contract:
- The position is for an initial period of two-years subject to extension based on performance.
- Grade 12 School certificate or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine, Science, Public Administration, Development Studies, Business Administration, Economics, or other related discipline
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an advantage
- At least 10 years working experience in the field of competence
- Familiarity with Zambia’s healthcare system, policies and context is desirable
Demonstrable Competencies and Skills:
- Good management and leadership skills, ability to motive and supervise and hold a team accountable and coordination skills, with experience of at least 5 years of relevant project coordination/management experience.
- A team player with strong inter-personal skills and the ability to deal with multiple teams located in multiple institutions
- Proven experience in project management and collaborative and coordinating skills
- Experience in managing donor funded Projects is an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse group toward a common objective.
- Demonstrated ability to establish an effective monitoring system and utilize it for improving performance.
- Knowledge of GRZ and World Bank procurement, financial management and safeguard requirements.
- Good understanding of development issues – especially those related to health is desirable.
- Knowledge in use of computer software packages for word-processing, presentation software, databases, spreadsheets, and the internet
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and facilitation skills, including experience in writing project success stories, lessons learned and best practices.
- Willingness to participate in field activities/surveys and extensive travel to remote areas within the project areas.
- Ability to work under tight timelines including ability to follow deadlines, accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under minimum supervision to meet short-term deadlines
- Commitment and drive to achieve challenging goals, and a problem-solving attitude.
- Interested candidates should obtain detailed Terms of Reference from Here.
- Further information can be obtained from address below during office hours i.e. 08.00 to 13.00 hours and 14.00 hours to 17.00 hours.
How to apply
Application letters addressed to the Permanent Secretary (Administration), Ministry of Health, should include certified copies of academic / professional certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae with three traceable references. Applications must be submitted in hard copy to the address below or deposited in the Tender Box on the ground floor of Ndeke House, Envelopes should be clearly marked “Recruitment of a Project Coordinator: Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (P167916) and the Zambia Covid-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project (P174185).