Program Officer Needed at PATH
PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
In the last several years, remarkable progress has been made in fighting Malaria worldwide. Advancements in prevention and treatment have resulted in marked reductions in illness and death. Eliminating malaria is achievable using existing tools and a focused strategy, and the Malaria Control and Elimination Partnership in Africa (MACEPA), a program at PATH, is working with its national partners to plan the forward through the development of an evidence-based framework to guide countries through a comprehensive set of program interventions to elimination. As part of PATH MACEPA’s support to the Government of Zambia’s Ministry of Health for malaria control and elimination activities, we are seeking an entomologist and a program officer to assist with the roll out and management of the Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait (ATSB) project in Kaoma, Nkeyema and Luampa districts of Western Province Zambia.
PATH is currently recruiting for a Program Officer to based in Kaoma.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Support all epidemiological monitoring, planning and implementation of Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait (ATSB) project supported districts as instructed by research supervisor and in compliance with the study protocol.
- Contribute to capacity building of local staff and promoting sustainability of routine epidemiological work related to ATSB and monitoring parasite prevalence.
- Assist with training of local staff in epidemiological surveillance and other pertinent study related trainings for ATSB project supported districts.
- Manage and supervise human blood sample collection, preservation, and transportation to the central laboratory in Lusaka.
- Collecting, organizing, and presenting results of ATSB epidemiology monitoring activities.
- Work with specialized software program to contribute to the development of an ATSB database on epidemiological surveillance activities.
- Contribute to development and management project-related plans, budgets, and team requirements.
- Coordinate with research team members to ensure progress reports to institutional review boards and Data Safety Management Board (DSMB) are submitted in a timely manner.
- Handle local procurements not made from Lusaka, manage project vehicle maintenance logs and manage petty cash disbursed to the field office.
- Maintain supply chain of key commodities for the main ATSB field office and sites
- Inform the research team supervisor immediately if and when a major incident occurs that may affect progressive implementation of the study
- Degree in a relevant field (Public Health, epidemiology, and health related field). A master’s degree in epidemiology will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of two (02) years’ experience working on or with field studies and / or implementing vector control activities in the context of malaria control programs.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Word, Excel, and Outlook—must have demonstrable ability to format documents, prepare charts and manage data; experience with MS Access preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to include conflict resolution, priority management and managing expectations of multiple clients.
- Highly organized, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities and ability to work within tight deadlines at times.
- Work within a team with minimum supervision.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills; experience facilitating trainings highly desired.
- Ability to keep records, with an attention to detail
- Assist with coordination of field payments for volunteers and other relevant study related payements if and when required.
- Able to troubleshoot and find workable solutions related to study processes and procedures
- Must have legal authorization to work in Zambia.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and application on company website: