Finance Assistant Needed
Job Opening for a Finance Assistant
Reports to: Country Representative
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Zambia seeks a qualified Finance Assistant (FA) to join the team of the IPA Zambia office. The FA reports to the Finance and Administration Manager (FAM).
The FA’s main role is to perform various accounting responsibilities as delegated by the FAM to provide all necessary financial information of the Country office. The incumbent will ensure compliance with IPA’s internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations.
IPA in Zambia:
IPA has been present in Zambia since 2010 in response to a growing demand for high-quality socio-economic research and impact evaluations. IPA works with Ministries of Health, Education, Education, and Community Development, leading academics and with civil society organizations on studies in agriculture, education, governance, health, and social protection.
- Financial – Banking, cashflow management, and disbursements
- To accurately and timely prepare online and cheque payments.
- To ensure that deposits are made promptly into a bank account.
- To conduct bi-weekly petty cash accounts.
- To facilitate the pre-paid account addition for new staff.
- To be the contact person for the local bank.
Payroll and Taxes:
- To facilitate TPIN registration for experts.
- To receive, review, and process payroll data including salaries.
- To ensure compliance with all statutory obligations such as NAPSA, ZRA, Workers Compensation, and Personal Levy and returns submitted in accordance with the required timetable. Ensure local filings for TCN and expatriate payroll staff are kept up to date and reconciled with HQ as required.
- To accurately and promptly make entries to NetSuite
- To stamp all documents with a canceled stamp to avoid duplication and sequentially file all documents securely for ease retrieval for internal and external audits.
- To report and follow up on missing documents.
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager to prepare local statutory reports and ensure filing in a timely manner after coordinating review with HQ.
- Support IPA’s global audit and support the Finance and Administration Manager to manage local statutory audits and project audits as required.
- Support the Finance and Administration Manager to ensure budgets, operational, and project, are loaded into NetSuite in accordance with global procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Finance and Administration Manager and/or to support the research team
Qualifications and skills:
- Diploma or Degree Equivalent in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant/ACCA Certification Level II and above.
- At least 2 years of progressive finance experience.
- Experience working for an international nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of accounting procedures and processes.
- Basic understanding of financial and tax regulations in Zambia.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Experience in accounting software such as NetSuite is strongly preferred.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Good listening skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills; decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering information; good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- A high degree of professionalism.
Duration: One year
Method of Application
Indicating the position you are applying for. Please send your CV with a cover letter to Human Resources (), or drop it at Innovations for Poverty Action offices situated at Plot No. 26 Mwambula Road, Jesmondine,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
First CVs will be examined in priority.