Admission Requirements for the University of Ghana
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL PROGRAMMES
1. A good first degree (at least a second class lower division) in a relevant field of study at the University of Ghana or any recognized University. A minimum of two to three years working experience is required from all applicants desiring to pursue programmes at the University of Ghana Business School. For more details in respect of Admission requirements, applicants are advised to contact the various Departments/Schools/Institutes/Centres for additional information on the various programmes.
2. For purposes of assessing an applicant’s eligibility, he/she may be required to take an entrance examination and/or interview at the Department/Institute/School/Centre.
3. For programmes marked with asterisks (*), all applicants are admitted into the MA/MSc programme at the first instance. Students who obtain an average of B+ or better MAY progress to the MPhil programme upon recommendation by the Head of Department in consultation with the Graduate Studies Committee of his/her Department.
4. Admission to any of the PhD programmes will require a relevant masters’ degree (MA/MSc/MPhil). It will also be limited to candidates whose academic and scholastic records show a potential for successful completion of doctoral degree programme.
All PhD programmes in the University are now fee-paying and the durations are as follows:
i. Full-Time – Four (4) years
ii. Part-Time – Six (6) years
PROGRAMME- SPECIFIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS/THEMATIC AREAS
1. MBA Management Information Systems Prospective applicants must have at least two (2) years working experience in an IT environment to qualify for admission.
2. MPhil Home Science (Food Utilization and Community Nutrition) Applicants must have a strong science background to qualify for admission.
3. MPhil/MA English Applicants seeking admission to these programmes must have: a. Majored in either a combined or single major programme b. taken at least 30 credits in the subject
4. MSc. Audiology Applicants must have a good first degree (minimum FGPA of 3.0) in Physics, Psychology, Biological Sciences, and Special Education with major in Communication Disorder or Nursing (BSc.)
5. MPhil Social Work Applicants are to submit one page essay (single spaced) stating their short and long-term career goals. They are to also discuss how a graduate programme in Social Work will help them achieve these goals. This should uploaded with other required documents online.
6. MPhil Anatomy Applicants should first discuss their research ideas with the Department before completing application forms.
7. MPhil Chemical Pathology Applicants will be required to show proof of funding for their project work.
8. MPhil Pharmacology: The programme is open to applicants who possess BSc degrees with a minimum of second class lower division in any science subject (Biomedical, Biological, Physics with Biology)
9. MSc Medical Laboratory Sciences Applicants must hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences with a FGPA of not less than 3.25 or possess a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences with a minimum of second class (upper) from a recognized university.
10. MPhil Information Studies-Top Up: This is for candidates who completed their MA within the last five years and in addition obtained a B+ average.
11. MPhil Agricultural Engineering Applicants must submit a thesis proposal with applications
THEMATIC AREAS FOR ENGINEERING PROGRAMMES
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Biomedical Engineering
1. Bioinformatics, Genomics and Targeted Drug Discovery
2. Implants Science &Regenerative Engineering
3. Bioinstrumentation &Clinical Engineering
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Materials Science Engineering
1. Materials for Energy
2. Materials for Health care Delivery
3. Structural Materials
MEng/MPhil/PhD- Agriculture Engineering
1. Soil &Water Engineering
2. Postharvest Engineering
3. Machine Systems Engineering (Agricultural Mechanization)