Chief of Party (COP), Niamey, Niger, Lusaka, Zambia
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in 28 developing nations in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and provide innovative, market-driven solutions in Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH). SNV works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV USA is the organization’s United States-based 501(c)(3) affiliate connecting North American partners to SNV’s implementation capacity around the world. SNV works to empower people to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own sustainable development.
SNV is currently seeking experienced Chief of Party (COP) candidates to propose for an upcoming 5-year USAID-funded Zambia Alternatives to Charcoal project. The position is contingent upon contract award. The purpose of this activity is to reduce deforestation and forest degradation in biodiverse significant areas by promoting alternatives to charcoal. The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) is aware of the challenges of charcoal and its effects on deforestation and sustainable charcoal production. As part of Zambia’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC), Zambia intends to reduce its CO2 equivalent emissions by implementing a Sustainable Forest Management Program, a Sustainable Agriculture Program, and a Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Program. In addition, there is a draft charcoal-based Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action (NAMA) focusing on Increasing Efficiency in Harvesting, Processing, and Use of Charcoal.
The Chief of Party will provide overall leadership, management, and general technical direction for the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among diverse components and actors, and focusing on achieving the desired results. This position will be responsible for overall activities of sub-recipients, and leading program-focused strategic planning and decision making. The Chief of Party will work directly with USAID and will be a key liaison to implementing partners, other stakeholders, the Government of Zambia and other SNV programs. This position will ensure full compliance with all USAID, SNV, and other fiduciary regulations and will oversee the project reporting process in line with donor requirements. The Chief of Party will supervise project staff including professional performance management and coaching. The resident COP is expected to have both the technical and management qualifications necessary to manage a complex environmental and renewable energy USAIDâ€funded program.
- Ten (10) or more years of progressively responsible experience in the areas of renewable energy, energy efficiency, environmental services, natural resources management, sustainable forest management, carbon finance, support to REDD+ programs and NAMAs, alignment with national climate and energy policies, and/or other related areas related to sustainable livelihoods, conservation agriculture or biodiversity conservation;
- Ten (10) or more years of experience as a Chief of Party (COP) or similar senior management position for projects of a similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries.
- Five (5) or more years of experience working in developing countries, with a strong preference for experience in Zambia.
- Master’s degree or higher in public policy, international development, international business administration, ecological economics, natural resources management or environmental sciences, or a closely related field;
- Proven success managing a multiâ€million dollar USAID-funded contract or grant.
- Thorough understanding of USAID policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with USAID, host government, civil society partners and personnel, bilateral and multilateral donors and implementers of complementary programs.
- Proven leadership in overall project management and a strong track record of meeting targets and deadlines for a project of similar scope and size.
- Fluency in English is required.
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a highly professional and diverse working environment. Please note the position is contingent upon award. The anticipated start date is on or around July 2019.